Thursday, July 19, 2012

Review: Lessons Learned


Lessons Learned
Lessons Learned by Sydney Logan

My rating: 5 of 5 stars



I slept 4 hours, I was late for work this morning and I don’t regret it at all.
Lessons Learned was such an amazing book, I couldn’t put it down. I read it in a day; it was such an emotional rollercoaster.
Where to start? When I finished the book yesterday I was exhausted, I cried my eyes out. *have tissues near*
From the start it was so easy to relate to Sarah, an English teacher who returns to her hometown after a traumatic event in Memphis. Coming back to the small town of Sycamore Falls brings back all sorts of memories good ones and not so good. It also gives Sarah the chance to reconnect with his past and make pace with it.
Lucas in an outsider, also HS teacher who arrives in Sycamore Falls looking for a new, fresh start.
The romance between these two characters is not instant, there is a slow burn. First the strong bond as friends over their past experiences then move into love.
Lucas is the modern version of Prince Charming. Sarah does not need kingdoms and tiaras; she needs a strong, solid partner. Who puts her first, protects her and cherish her as if she were the only girl in the world. And she is the only one for him.
As they relationship grows, there is another story in the background. Matt´s story. One of Sarah´s student who confides in her with a secret that will turn the peaceful Sycamore Falls into a living hell for him, his family and the ones who love him.
I cried so much for Matt, his story was so moving, so real. We are faced with homophobe on daily basis and seeing how our actions can affect these young boys was heartbreaking. The way Sydney Logan shows that you do have to agree 100% with their choice but you should love and support them. Life is hard enough as it is for teenage boys without adding rejection, from parents, peers and closed ones, into the mix.
Sarah and Lucas are faced with a reality that makes them think about their own future, their own kids. Will they be happy in a place where differences are not embraced but condemned?
I honestly think that Sydney Logan manages to portrait our reality in these characters, even today we are face with these types of people.
As for the romance, I could marry Lucas in a heartbeat. When two damage people meet and fall in love, there is nothing more powerful that that bond. Because is not only about love, is about healing, is about hope.
I don’t think I have words left, I just love every bit of it and I hope to read more from Sydney Logan.




View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment