Monday, January 28, 2013

Review: Trick of Time


Trick of Time
Trick of Time by J.L. Merrow

My rating: 5 of 5 stars



I requested this book because of the author, [a:J.L. Merrow|2980235|J.L. Merrow|http://d.gr-assets.com/authors/1265681533p2/2980235.jpg] won me over with [b:Muscling Through|11045338|Muscling Through|J.L. Merrow|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1327900692s/11045338.jpg|15966033] last year and since them I´m a huge fan.
The blurb was interesting but it didn´t catch my attention.
Was I wrong? What an amazing story this turn out to be.
Our MC Ted is still grieving the loss of his partner and parents in a car accident over a year ago. He works for a theater in Piccadilly Circus has normal average life. Until one evening he goes out for a cigarette and finds himself in Victorian London.
The time travel situation is key for this book, while in another time he meets a rent boy, Jem, who turns out to be much more than just that.
Jem gives Ted the comfort and human contact Ted needs and craves, is sweet and tender and cares for Ted.
In his time Ted is a loner and Jem sees right through it.
Ted finds a way to come back move between the present and the past, talk to Jem, get to know him and spend the night when he is unable to return to the theater in time and back to his reality.
I absolutely love the concept. I care for these characters, I wanted them to be able to be together and I wasn´t sure if it was going to work.
Jem comes from a different time and is very naive despite his experience on the streets. But he manages to rescue Ted and bring him back to life, with that patience and tenderness that you don’t expect from a boy in his line of work.
I highly recommend this book if you like Historical Fiction. It is so descriptive, it´s amazing.





View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment